Exercise equipment can be enticing to purchase for your home gym, but it can be expensive for someone who’s on a tight budget. There are many exercises you can do in your own home that don’t involve any equipment.
Here are 10 ways to get you started exercising without purchasing any equipment.
- Walking – It’s nice to get outside and walk so that you enjoy the scenery and feel the warmth of the sun, but bad weather days hinder your ability to do that. If you have a flight of stairs that are in good shape, try going up and down them several times.
You can tone up your legs while getting some low impact cardio aerobic exercise at the same time. If no stairs are available, then you can try just walking around your house several times.
- Jumping Jacks – This should be fun since most people did these in their school gym class or as kids having fun. They’re good warm-up exercises as well as good cardio exercises.
- Pushups – Pushups can be hard to do, but you can do them on your knees instead of keeping your legs straight. You’re building up arm strength and working out muscles in your chest area, so there’s no need to put strain on your legs by doing them with your legs straight.
You can also try doing an even lesser impact version where you do push-ups against a wall, so that you’re not using your legs except for support in a standing position.
- Leg lifts – These are good for toning up your legs. If it’s too hard to do with your legs straight, try doing them with your legs bent.
- Sit ups – These are good to tone up your abdominal muscles. You don’t have to raise your head all the way in order to touch your knees. Just raising your head part way until you start to feel the abdominal muscles stretch would be fine to get started.
- Jogging in place – Jogging is good for your heart. You can jog in place in your home while watching television or listening to music. This would require a good pair of shoes to eliminate unnecessary stress on your legs, but otherwise no other equipment is needed.
- Squats – These are good exercises for your legs and buttocks. If you find that doing these are too hard, try just sitting down in a regular chair and standing back up again. You’ll get pretty much the same effect and it enables you to complete several repetitions without losing interest too fast.
- Light weight lifting – Weight lifting doesn’t have to be done with expensive weights. You can use what you already have at home like a can of peas or whatever canned goods you have.
You could also take an old gallon milk jug and fill it with water if you want to add extra weight. Be sure to work your way up to heavier items.
- Dancing – Dancing is a great aerobic exercise and can be lots of fun to do.
- Step exercises – These can be done using the steps in your home. There’s no need to purchase a step at the store.
You don’t have to purchase a membership at a gym or buy expensive equipment in order to exercise. There are plenty of ways to do it at home with what you already have.